As part of an independent survey by CM research, UK vets were asked to nominate, unprompted, the product they thought was the best new product of the previous year.
What do vets who use Galliprant find so appealing about it? Ultimately, its differences stem from its unique mode of action. By targeting pain* at the level of the EP4 receptor - the key mediator of OA pain - Galliprant doesn’t inhibit the COX enzymes and doesn’t affect the production of prostanoids1,2.
This means that Galliprant provides a treatment effect comparable to that of traditional NSAIDs2,3, but with a different safety profile: Galliprant was well tolerated over 9 months in a target animal safety study4.
When we asked vets where they see Galliprant making the biggest difference in practice, they said that they’re starting to use Galliprant in place of other non-steroidals in dogs who they anticipate needing prolonged treatment.
Despite many clinics not seeing younger dogs for OA, it has always been a young dog’s disease. OA in dogs is mainly due to developmental orthopaedic diseases and so is considered an early onset disease that lasts for life5.This highlights the probability of dogs living with undetected OA for a large proportion of their life6.
As Dr. Catherine Jewkes at the Bath Vet Group explains, “We choose Galliprant when they need a long-term treatment – it gives you the effects you want, and owners are happy that it’s a targeted treatment.”
With Galliprant, vets now have an option which can be used as soon as OA is diagnosed, and for as long as needed†.
Rebecca Bryant, Elanco’s marketing manager for Pet Health Therapeutics, said “Elanco is delighted to be recognised by the veterinary community with this prestigious award for Galliprant. The UK team is proud to be part of the launch of this innovative, first-in-class product which has already enriched the lives of thousands of pet owners and their dogs living with osteoarthritis (OA).”
“What makes this award so special is that it’s voted for by vets –the people who use it every day in practice. Galliprant is an exciting and innovative product, and it’s great to see that it’s making a real difference to dogs’ lives.”
Galliprant in Practice Webinar/Video (43 mins) - login required. Drawing on his years of experience, Dr Ciaran Jones MVB MS MRCVS DECVS DACVS shares case studies and experience of Galliprant in practice. He also explores how owners feel about an innovative treatment option to be used from first diagnosis and for as long as needed.
Targeted Pain Management in Canine Osteoarthritis (OA) - 1 hour CPD. This CPD module includes general information about canine OA, including the causes and pathophysiology of pain in OA, as well as an introduction to the piprant class of analgesics and Galliprant.
Galliprant Video - A Mode of Action Unlike Any Other (2 mins). Watch Galliprant’s mode of action and see how you can Lead With Galliprant.
*Indication: Galliprant is indicated for the treatment of pain associated with mild to moderate osteoarthritis in dogs.† As field studies were limited to 28 days, longer-term treatment should be considered carefully and regular monitoring undertaken by the vet.References:
1. Kirkby Shaw K, Rausch-Derra LC, Rhodes L. Grapiprant: An EP4 prostaglandin receptor antagonist and novel therapy for pain and inflammation. Vet Med Sci. 2016;2:3-9.
2. Rausch-Derra L, Huebner M, Wofford J, et al. A prospective, randomized, masked, placebo-controlled multisite clinical study of grapiprant, an EP4 prostaglandin receptor antagonist (PRA), in dogs with osteoarthritis. J Vet Intern Med. 2016;30:756-763.
3. CVMP assessment report for GALLIPRANT. https://www.ema.europa.eu/documents/assessment-report/galliprant-epar-publicassessment-report_en.pdf [accessed August 2020].
4. Rausch-Derra LC, Huebner M, Rhodes L. Evaluation of the safety of long-term, daily oral administration of grapiprant, a novel drug for treatment of osteoarthritic pain and inflammation, in healthy dogs. Am J Vet Res. 2015;76(10):853-859.
5. Lascelles D. International Association for the Study of Pain. Joint pain in pet dogs and cats: Fact Sheet No 9. 2016.
6. Cachon T, Frykman O, Innes JF, et al. Face validity of a proposed tool for staging canine osteoarthritis: Canine OsteoArthritis Staging Tool (COAST). Vet J. 2018;235:1-81.
Galliprant contains grapiprant and is indicated for the treatment of pain associated with mild to moderate osteoarthritis in dogs. Legal category POM-V (UK). Refer to the product packaging and leaflets for information about side effects, precautions, warnings and contraindications. Further information is available from the Summary of Product Characteristics. For further information call Elanco Animal Health on +44 (0)1256 353131 or write to: Elanco UK AH Limited, Form 2, Bartley Way, Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook, RG27 9XA, United Kingdom.Advice should be sought from the medicine prescriber prior to use.
Galliprant, Elanco and the diagonal bar logo are trademarks of Elanco or its affiliates. ©2020 Elanco or its affiliates. PM-UK-20-0725. Date of review – August 2020.
Use medicines responsibly www.noah.co.uk/responsible (UK)