Pain can be difficult to identify in pets and the signs vary between individuals. Pain can be caused by an injury or may occur as a result of surgery. Your pet may also experience pain due to long term/chronic diseases such as
osteoarthritis which is a painful disease that affects joints.
Common signs of osteoarthritis include:
- Change in their mobility e.g. not able to jump into the car
- Lameness or stiffness
- Loss of appetite
- Depressed, inactive or uninterested in things going on around them
- Breaking of house-training
- More aggressive or fearful
- Restlessness, unable to settle down or sleep
What to do if you think your pet is in pain or shows a change in mobility
Your veterinary practice will be able to able to support you and your pet, with advice on how to make your pet feel more comfortable. Lifestyle changes, activity modification and sometimes medications may be prescribed.